Prof. Olu Odeyemi OFR
Prof. Olu Odeyemi was born at Iloko-Ijesha in 1946. He attended Ilesha Grammar School (1959-1963) and Abeokuta Grammar School (1965-1966). He obtained B.Sc. (Soil Science, 2nd Class Upper) in 1970 at University of Ibadan, M.Sc. (Agronomy) and PhD (Microbiology) at Cornell University Ithaca, New York in 1974 and 1976 respectively. He received further professional trainings at Cambridge University, U.K; McGill University, Canada, and Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi.
Prof. Olu Odeyemi has supervised thesis research for about 500 undergraduate students and 35 postgraduate students and has over 70 research publications.
He is a member of over 25 professional bodies. He has attended more than 100 conferences to deliver keynote addresses and popularize science and technology. He Served as consultant to FCDA, Abuja, UNU, Tokyo, UNESCO, UNEP, FAO, SPDC, Warri. Prof. Odeyemi was first ecologist to do baseline study of all 24 rivers & streams of FCT and environmental impact assessment of SPDC’s Dodo North field, Belema field and Trans-Ramos Pipeline Project area in the Niger Delta.
Some of Prof. Odeyemi’s research accomplishments include the following:
- The first scientist in the world to develop fungicides-resistant rhizobia for legume inoculation (U.S.A Patent No. 4, 094, 097)
- The first rhizobiologist to develop Bradyrhizobium inoculant in West Africa. His inoculants have been used by the FAO, FMA and National Special Program for Food Security to boost cowpea and legume yields in Niger, Nasarawa, Bauchi, Kwara & Katsina States.
- The first to mechanize compost/organic fertilizer production for the SPDC, Warri. His organic fertilizer is being used by the FAO & FMA to enhance food safety and food security in all 36 states of Nigeria. The fertilizer was used in most of the 3,000 secondary schools in Osun State to boost school agric program in 2002
- The first scientist in the world to postulate pathway of rhizobial degradation of thiram (fungicide) to yield dimethyldithiocarbamate and then dimethylamine and carbon disulfide.
- First scientist to build and use a biogas generator (renewable/green energy) in Nigeria; the methane gas can be used for cooking, lighting and electricity generation. In early 90s, he built biogas plant for cooking at Govt. House Annex & General Hospital, Osogbo. The Chinese model biogas digester at Prof. Odeyemi’s residence is used for cooking and lighting; it can last for 70yrs
- The first scientist in the world to demonstrate in Nigeria and in Canada the feasibility of using sunshine and seeds of Moringa oleifera for drinking water purification instead of the expensive and non-renewable alum.
- In 1992, the UNDP & UNFPA commissioned Prof. Odeyemi to run workshops in Old Ondo and Old Bauchi States to diffuse this technology in order to reduce water-borne diseases (which account for 80% of all diseases-WHO) in the rural areas of Nigeria.
A list of about 40 national and international previous honours and awards attests to the impeccability of Prof. Odeyemi’s character. Prof. Odeyemi is a member of Nigeria’s National Think-Tank.